Three people alleged to have played roles in recruiting 13 youths from Kilifi and Lamu counties into al-Shabaab in Somalia are being sought by police. The Kenya defense forces (KDF) says it rescued the youths who were apparently stranded on the international border in Ras Kamboni in Somalia, and flew them to Malindi.
The all-male youths aged between 18 and 34 years had been lured into the terror group while looking for jobs and were rescued after their parents filed reports with the police claiming that their children had been lured into terrorism.
Details of one of the suspects who is believed to be trading in fish in Marareni area are still unknown but it is alleged that he gave the youths 5,000 shillings each with a promise of a better paying job in Kiunga. The youths’ rescue resulted from the collaboration between KDF and their Somalia counterparts. KDF has managed to rescue more than 1,100 youths since 2011.
A think tank associated with the US defense department has said that al-Shabaab is responsible for more than half the reported attacks carried out in Africa by militant Islamist groups during the past 12 months, according to the think tank Shabaab also ranks as the deadliest insurgency on the continent. It killed 4,834 persons in the 12-month period ending on March 31.