
Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) has asked patients seeking non-emergency medical services to consider visiting other health facilities as the hospital experiences increased patient numbers amid an ongoing health workers’ strike. In a statement issued on Thursday, August 20, 2026, KNH said disruptions in healthcare services across several counties had forced more patients to seek treatment at the national referral facility.
The increased demand has resulted in congestion, longer queues and delays, particularly for patients whose conditions do not require urgent medical attention.
KNH Appeals to Non-Emergency Patients
KNH Chief Executive Officer Dr Richard Lesiyampe said the hospital was receiving patients who would ordinarily have sought treatment at county and other nearby facilities. The hospital has therefore encouraged patients with non-urgent conditions to consider seeking appropriate services at health facilities closer to their homes.
According to KNH, the move would help reduce pressure on the referral hospital while allowing patients to access medical services within a shorter period. The hospital, however, clarified that it remains operational and continues to provide emergency and critical care services to patients who require urgent treatment.
Health Workers’ Strike Disrupts Services
The advisory comes as health services remain disrupted in various parts of the country due to an ongoing industrial action involving nurses and other healthcare workers. Health workers have raised several grievances, including concerns over the implementation of Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBAs), delayed promotions, salary arrears and the employment of workers under the Universal Health Coverage programme.
The Kenya National Union of Nurses has maintained that its members will not return to work until their outstanding concerns are addressed through an agreement. The Council of Governors has previously appealed to health workers to call off the strike as efforts to resolve the dispute continue.
Ruto Gives Officials One Week to Resolve Dispute
The ongoing crisis also took centre stage during the Kenya Health Summit, where health workers presented their concerns directly to President William Ruto. On Wednesday, President Ruto directed national and county government officials to work together to resolve the impasse within one week.
The President also criticised delays in the payment of health workers, saying salary delays were unacceptable. He further directed that the Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC) be involved in discussions concerning the implementation of outstanding CBAs.
As negotiations continue, KNH’s latest advisory highlights the pressure the national referral facility is facing as patients from areas affected by the strike seek alternative access to healthcare.
